Sunday, August 16, 2009

Still Alive

With work, riding, moving apartments, securing loans for the school year and making sure I am involved in research projects this fall, I have neglected my blog. Though it appears that only Doug and DMO read it. Anyways, since my last race (Superior) alot has happened. I went up to Isle Royale with my dad and brother Greg. We spent 4 days hiking, kyacking and camping. Ever kyacked in open water in northern Superior? 2 thing: 1) 4 ft waves make kyacking scary. 2) The farther north you go in Superior, the colder the water is. I could not stand in the water longer than 15-20 seconds. It was a lot of fun and my shoulders were really tired the following week from all the paddling.

Just before going up north I raced Maillot Jaune. I broke my sunglasses before the start. I raced hard and stayed with the lead pack. Set tempo for several miles trying to let Adam rest. Then Alexey attacked and I used what was left in the tank to try and pull him back. Dropped out of the peloton, finished 2 minutes back with Scott. Alexey won and Adam was second. I still had no racing glasses.

The next day was the State TT. I finished 8th I think. or 9th. Not sure. Top 10. Went over an hour which upset me but oh well. Our team did great 2nd and 3rd I think. We were taking off with the Team Classification in Michigan Challange and had 2 guys posed to take the lead from Pat Robb.

Last weekend (not this past one) was Grand Rapids. Rain and brick streets do not mix well. 14 crashes in the Cat 3s. 2 riders managed to not crash or get caught behind a crash. I was one of them. I stayed in the top 5 and kept uping the pace to get rid of poor riders and not let the field bunch and cause more crashes. Alexey attacked again and I refused to chase when I made it to the front of the rotation. I would just match his pace. He ended up winning 4 primes and I got 2. On the last lap I was set up for the win, perfect position. The guy in front of me crashed. I got around him and made up a few spots. Then got pushed out on the 2nd to last corner and nearly ended up in the curb. Made it around the final corner 5th, but 3 guys had a 10m gap already. I was closing on them but the line was too close. I got 4th. Probably would have won. Won a 1/2 hour massage and a $100 gift basket plus $60 for 4th and Oakley had a drawing where I won a set of Radars (the antifreeze sprinter pair). I now have racing glasses (I just have to pick them up). Good weekend.

This past weekend was Ada. As always the race was fast and hot. Our team went out in full force the get and keep Adam and Todd 1st and 2nd overall in the Michigan Challenge. We went out too hard. Scott had nothing, Josh had nothing. Todd worked the front too much. Adams legs were tired which left Joe and I to pull the peloton and get in breaks. Our team won our share of the primes (Joe-Socks, Adam-pump, Me-$120 Uvex Helmet (ebay)) But we didnt have it in the finale. Joe and Josh both crashed in the chicane on the course. I was doing 3-5 lap pulls on the front of the peloton. Eventually I blew myself up and got dropped. Rode the last 6 laps solo and finished 22nd. Team got 7th, 13th and 15th. Kind of disappointing for the MCG boys after all the work we put in, compared to our usual placings. But that's racing!

Well that catches us up. Sorry the reports were short and not as insightful and detailed as usual. I am at work and have to go clock in in 5 minutes so I had to rush.

Final question for all the readers: There were 3 bike shops sponsoring the Meijer Grand Rapids Race. One of those shops has my sunglasses. Could someone list the 2 shop sponsors other than Village Bike Shop, because I know its not them.

2 comments:

Doug said...

I only look at the pictures.

I have never kyacked anywhere and have not set foot in Lake Superior since I was about six years old.

Gee, Superior cold... wow, imagine that... that lake is 1,332 ft at its deepest.

Little Bits of Everything said...

actually York was 12th at Ada, I was right next to him in 13th..... BOOOOOO!!!!!