Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Well hello everyone

How are you? I guess it's been two weeks so I figured I should update.

Been riding outside a bit lately. Rode with Scott one day out on snow covered dirt roads. Was a nice 1.5hr ride. Then rode outside with Jason while he was on recovery, that was a nice 2 hour ride. Then this past Sunday I did the Worst Day of the Year Ride. Scott, Mark Caswell, James Knight and me represented MCC p/b Trails Edge on the 40 mile ride. Joe decided he couldnt make it 40 miles and opted for the shorter ride (haha just kidding, he went to represent us with Randy in another group). I took a tumble at an ice covered intersection and bruised my hip, but im fine now. The ride was fun. There were some fairly fast sections due to Brendan Benson and other racers pushing the pace. Being on a CX bike, I wore myself out and ended up getting dropped. Twas a good ride anyways.

The two days prior to the WDotY ride, I went up north again skiing with my papa. We got up there Friday night and got in 2 hours of night skiing. Then we got in 4ish hours of skiing in on Saturday. While up there I ran into my cousin and he asked if I wanted to go mess around in the terrain park. I agreed.....bad idea. I ended up falling a few times while trying to grind and strained a lot of muscles. But again, im fine now. (yay super fast body recovery) It was fun, but super cold up there with a lot of wind. I also ended up driving for 9.25 hours of the total 10 hours of driving in a period of 28 hours. My dad drove from Mason home where I slept as I had to head back to Ann Arbor as soon as I got home.

Saturday night was fun, hung out with freinds in Ann Arbor. Sat around Starbucks and talked alot. Then spent a while in Borders Books where I read a great article about DaveZ.

Im excited because next weekend (the one following superbowl weekend) I get to go up to Houghton (not houghton lake) Michigan for winter carnival. I am staying with my brother and taking my freind Julie. This is where the MTU students create awesome ice sculptures and its pretty much a 4 day party. Ill also go skiing.

After a fun weekend, it was back to school. Classe are going fine. Im learning quite a lot this semester. Other than school and training, I am just trying to get everything in order for my life haha. Im applying for jobs so I have some money and searching for appartments for the summer. I found a great one, but the landlord will not return my emails and didnt list a phone number. So if anyone reading this knows of someplace that is hiring, or of a good appartment near EMU, let me know.

And now for, I guess the big news. Nothing is set in stone yet, but I am seriously considering pursuing medical school. I was going to go for my PhD in Ex Phys, but in the same time I could be an MD. Ive always liked medicine and I think I could be really good at it. I will still keep my Ex. Phys. major, but instead of a minor I will take pre-med classes. This will add another year to my undergrad, but o well. The only downside...once I get into med school I will probably have to hang the bike up for a while. But we will see. I also intend on taking an EMT course this summer and work in an ER or on an ambulance for a few years.

So yeah, what does everyone think?

6 comments:

dmo said...

Go for it Z-man if it's what you want to do. It will take mucho work, but having an MD can open up a lot of doors. And there are lots of folks who have managed to juggle med school with bike racing. There's Pete Schilling in town, and Christine Thorburn too.

Daniel Ritter said...

Add another year? There isn't much needed for med school that you don't get from an exercise physiology degree... trust me I'm doing it haha. From my calculations I need to do two spring semesters but other than that I'm fine for 4 years.

The nicest part of MD over PhD is that your "post doc" work for an MD (residency) is paid... not amazingly, but better than PhD post doc work haha. In a research setting MD is a good thing to have. Obviously the things to keep in mind with Med is the competitiveness of med school admission, and whether you want to be practicing or research.

Doug said...

Go for it. You will make a great general practitioner.

You still doing the research project?

Doug said...

For jobs... can you pull cable :)??????

Doug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doug said...

For jobs, check out REI, I use to work in retail in college.