Friday, February 5, 2010

I know I fail at this



But hey look, I'm posting now. I'm sorry to my 3 readers that I have not updated this in a long time. It is the off season, I am in my junior year of college and I don't have all that much to write about, but if I did, I wouldn't have the time do to school. However, today is one of my very few free days, so here it goes.



So I was over in Kalamazoo on January 9th with my brother Pat and my parents, skiing. Pat starts talking about a trip Eric is trying to put together for the following weekend. I call up Eric and invite myself, he was going to invite me anyway, just hadn't gotten a chance to call me. So that evening I booked my flight and the following week on Thursday January 14th, I flew out to Seattle.



The point of the trip was to get all five of the Maino brothers together to go skiing out West. It was 80% successful. Greg couldn't make it out, so it was just Eric, Pat, John and me. My flight was 4 hours ahead of Pats, so Eric and John picked me up at the airport and we went to eat, then drop off my luggage at their townhouse. We then went back to the airport to pick up Pat and headed to a bar to meet up with a bunch of their friends (Pat used to live out in Seattle.)



The following morning (John and Pat not feeling so hot) we loaded up the 2 cars early and hit the road. In the first car was Colleen (driving), John and me. In the second car was Eric, Pat and their friend Lassi. It was 2 hours to the boarder of Canada, and another 2 hours to Whistler. Yes, Whistler. Where the Olympics are being held in one week, one of the nicest skiing resorts in the world, Whistler. To make the trip even more fun (as expected when 2 or more Mainos are together) we raced to the boarder. Despite Colleen getting pulled over, we did cross into Canada before the others.



Once we got to Whistler we found our condo and suited up to ski. We took the lift tickets that came with the room and headed to the mountain. Well luck would have it that those tickets weren't valid for that day. So instead of reissuing the tickets they told us that we couldn't ski. The sky was amazingly blue, the slopes were in perfect condition and do to poor customer service, we couldn't enjoy it.



So we went hottubing. Then got dinner. Then watched some hockey and went to bed. We wanted to get up early and hit the slopes. And we did. We were on the mountain by 8:45am the following morning and it would be a rough day for me. I have never skied out west, so I have never skied powder. And let me tell you midwesterners who think skiing is skiing and snow is snow.....POWDER IS NOT THE SAME AS OUR CRAPPY MIDWEST SNOW. Its way more fun, but way harder to ski. So Saturday was a learning experience for me. I have never had sore legs from skiing....but then again, I've never skied out west.



After a fun full day, we went back to the condo, took a nap, ate, sat it hottub, watched more hockey and went to sleep. Again we were up and on the hill early Sunday. I was more confident in myself that day, and we proceeded to go as high up the mountain as they would let us. After one run, they had the peak open. John went skiing through the trees on the first run and decided to see how his ski tasted. But he was fine and we took off for the peak. On the run down, my brothers thought I was going a little fast, my right tip caught and I went face first into the snow. Both skis came off along with both poles. My brothers came to see if I was fine. Landing in power is one of the coolest experiences ever. I was fine with the exception of two nice bruises. We spent the rest of the day skiing 7th Heaven, gliding over fresh powered through the glades. It was amazing.



Well that was all the skiing we could get in for the weekend. The next morning we were up early driving back to the States. Pat and I were to fly out that evening because we didn't have school for MLK day. Unfortunately as I checked in for my flight, I had booked a flight leaving Tuesday. So I got an extra day in Seattle. I walked around the city, down to the market and back to the townhouse. Then flew home on the red eye. It was an EPIC trip.

Stay tuned for my next major event. Spring Break in Panama City, FL. (Yes I am taking my bike) We leave for Florida in 23 days.

2 comments:

Doug said...

Did they get a ticket?

Spring break???? I never got to go on spring break, ever... you suck.

C said...

Zach, I'm staying in Pensacola, Florida right now. Three hours from Panama City.