Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cone- Azalia

OUCH! That is the only word that adequately describes this race. It is a 10 mile loop, 4 miles of which are over dirt/gravel roads. This race is usually brutal, but this year was worse than previous editions as the Michigan winter was unkind to the usually semi-smooth dirt country roads and it had rained all night and into the morning. Platt Road, the longest straight section of the race and is not paved, was infested with potholes this year. There was no clear line through it and the holes were all 4-5 inches deep. Two things were sure going into this race: 1) Don't be in the middle of the peloton and 2) Equipment was going to break.



The Pro/1/2 race started with about 28 guys, half of which were from Bissel of Panther. Riders such as Kirk Albers and Paul Martin showed up to throw down, so it was not going to be an easy day in the saddle (as if Cone ever is...). As we headed into the pothole section on the first lap, I sat up with Alex Vanias and let the peloton get a little gap. Once they hit the bad section and everyone freaked out and started diving everywhere, Alex and I jumped to the soft right shoulder and moved around to the front. It was when I was at the front that I realized how strong the wind was that morning, we were driving directly into a 20+ mph headwind, so I moved back a few spots but stayed near the front to not get caught out in crashes.

After clearing Platt Rd there were only about 18 guys left in the group, all of us were covered in mud and dirt from the wet water filled holes. Most of out shifting and bearings weren't working smooth either. The dust and mud had gotten into the cogs, pins and rollers and everyones bike was squeaking. Luckily the next dirt section (short tailwind, then turn left into the crosswind) was much smoother. As we made the turn two guys went down on the inside, from what I understand one of them broke their ankle and still rode another 40 miles on it. The crosswind made this section brutal as you couldn't hide because the wind came from the left and the good line was along the right shoulder. I made it through with little trouble though and we turned into the tailwind for a couple of miles which allowed my legs to rest.


(My dirty legs after the race)

So I made it through 1 lap safely. 6 more to go. The next lap followed more or less the same pattern. We DRILLED it on the dirt sections and rested in the tailwind, at some point a Panther and Bissel rider got off the front. The other riders in the group wanted to chase, but we knew as soon as we pulled it back the two heavy hitting teams would launch more riders. So we were content to sit in and not work too much.

On the third lap I made a positioning mistake. I got through Platt without too much trouble, other than thinking I broke my steering tube when I got pushed into a series of potholes. But the second dirt section I was on the back and took a bad line through the corner. Well this was about the time the Bissel guy in the break flatted and the peloton passed him. So all the Bissel guys went to the front and drilled the pace in the crosswind. I had gapped myself and was now holding 550 watts (I weigh 146lbs) pulling myself back to the field. I made contact right as we turned into the tailwind and Bissel went even harder. I never got a chance to recover and lost ground on that section of road. I was time trialing myself to get back to the peloton, but even while I was holding 32 mph the group was pulling away. 1 hour of racing had passed, I had completed about 26 miles with the peloton and my race was already over. I checked my average power output for the first hour and I had been riding at 90% of my FTP for that first hour.


(My drivetrain after the race)

Well my day wasn't over. I decided to keep riding and see if I could finish the race. But after another hour of riding it was clear my legs were going to lock up and shut down before that could happen, so I decided to try and beat the Cat 3s to the end of their race. That meant I had to complete 5 laps total (51 miles), 24 miles of which I was riding solo.

Well I achieved my goal. I finished the 5 laps in a time of 2 hours 20 minutes. The Cat 3 peloton of 7 or so guys came in at 2 hours 21 minutes. I checked my average power for the 51 miles, I had ridden the entire time at 82% of my FTP. So I actually had pretty good legs, but the 1/2 field takes no prisoners. Paul Martin won, no surprise there.


(My drivetrain after it was washed)

After the race I cleaned off my dirt covered body and drove to Jackson to enjoy the hottub at my parents house, wash my disgusting bike and take it apart to make sure I didn't break anything. Fortunately my bike held up, but I know a few guys that broke wheels, frames and seats on these rough rough roads.

No comments: