Monday, May 2, 2011

Willow Time Trial



So Saturday morning was the first real race of the Michigan racing season: Willow Metropark Time Trial. There were 13 guys signed up in the Cat 1/2s and 14 in the Cat 3s. It is a 20k race consisting of 6 laps of the park usually coupled with steady, fairly strong winds.

I got there early enough to talk with all the guys I haven't seen in a few months, help the Juniors prepare for their races, sign in, get my number on, use the bathroom, set up the team area and then warm up. Ventus Cycling had 6 guys racing: Me in the 1/2s and Bush, Benke, Bott, Holloway and Rainville in the 3s. We all warmed up under our team tent together, no one really talking because we all have our own pre race routines which usually consist of listening to music while we get the muscles primed.



Before we knew it everyone was scrambling to get ready. All the Cat 3 riders went off within 5 minutes of each other so they all jumped off and rode to the line together. I had another 15 minutes so I got my skinsuit on, helmet and shoe covers on and rode around the parking lot for 10 minutes before headed to the line. An interesting tidbit: I raced with earplugs in under my TT helmet. It was in an article I read a while back and maybe Darrell told it to me, I don't really remember. But the theory goes that we judge out speed based on the wind speed we hear. But with earplugs in you cannot hear the wind so you cant judge your speed or exertion, so you can push yourself harder. It was a really cool experience and I think I am going to continue time trialing with them because its nice to hear nothing but your own breathing. No distractions.

Anyway, I knew I was in for a depressing day on the bike because I hadn't been training at all over the winter and I am not the best time trialist. To add insult to injury, 4 of the best time trialists in the state started directly after me, Minnima, Vanias, Vermeulen and York. My plan was to determine my speed based on when I got passed by each rider. My goal was to go under 32 minutes.



31 minutes and 50 seconds later I crossed the line. Last person to finish the race. I had been passed by all 4 riders behind me almost exactly when I thought they would pass me. I ended up 12th, edging out Kroske who was not on his signature P3 having sold it last year. It was a better day for my teammates who ended up 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 13th in the Cat 3s. All in all it was a good day for the team. I wasn't too upset. Out of form and still able to hold 25mph for 32 minutes isn't too bad. My only goal after the race was to rest and recover. Cone-Azalia was the following morning.

No comments: