Sunday, August 12, 2007

Hines Drive TT






WOW! PAINFUL! Thats the one word i can use to describe this race. We had a decent turnout, i thought. But apparently numbers a WAY down compared to last year. My goal today was to go under 30 min. I was shooting for 29min, which i would be amazed if i got.

Well anyways, my good friend Melinda went with me today, we stopped and picked up David on our way through Ann Arbor. When we got there, there were already a good amount of people. David and I broke out the trainers and set up the bikes. I jumped on immediatly and started warming up. Melinda pinned on my numbers while i spun. I was happy to see such a good turnout from Ann Arbor, Mark Lovejoy, Dawn, Joe and Steven Christy, Doug, Dominick and Tony Wieczorek, The Anderson Family, The Vermulen Family, David and I.

Well the start came alot faster then i had anticipated, so i wasnt as warmed up as i could have been, but i had been spinning for a good 40 min. Before i went to the start i found James and asked if i could borrow his TT helmet (seeing as mine STILL isnt in yet). Im so glad he said yes, im sure it made a hige difference in my time. Well it was time to start. I line up, clip in, get a quick "good luck" from David, and im off. I hit 31mph in my sprint from the start, then i settled into a good rythem. I made smooth lines through all the turns, apexing them as much as possible. When i got to the barrell, the turnaround point, David had already passed me (he started 30 seconds back) and i had Doug ("pothole") and Doug (wolverine) in my sight. They started 1min30sec, and 1min ahead of me, respectively. Doug knew i was close too, because as he got back up to speed at the barrel and saw David and I, he started mumbling to himself. I knew i was moving, because at the turn around my time was 14:30, thats 29min on the dot! I kept the Dougs in my sight, but i just couldnt close the gap. The finish line came up quickly. I came around a bend and there was the timing tent. Grandmaster B was still about 100m ahead of me, so i started sprinting and just missed taking him at the line. I gave him a nice pat on the shoulder and he turned, saw me, and wasnt too pleased with his ride. I ended up finishing 4th in the Cat 4 feild with a time of 28:32! 28 seconds faster than i thought i was capable of.

Now it was time to recover. It was only an hour and a half until we started the 2-man TT. There were 10 2-man groups. The groups were interesting, david and i, James and Alexy, Tony, and Dominick, Darrell and ???, and then Doug and ???.

David and I started off strong. We wanted to break 28 min. But it was soon evident that David was feeling better than I was, because he kept getting little gaps on me. This resulted in him pulling for longer periods of time. Which made me feel bad, so David, im sorry. We were making really good time on the way out, that was for sure. But we didn't realize we had a tailwind the entire way out. When we got to the barrel, i went through first, and carried more speed through it because David found about a 30m gap between us when he lined himself up again. He quickly closed it and we were on our way back. THe way back was brutal, headwinds the whole time. For the last 2 miles, i had to of been anerobic. I hurt, i hurt bad. But i stayed with David, and we crossed the line together to get a time of 28:01! Two seconds off our goal! But it was good enough for 3rd place, 20-30 seconds behind D. Anderson and his partner.

A very memorable moment of the 2-man TT was when Douglas "the cat""Pothole""grandmaster B" Gatto came across the line. There was a loud "AHHHHHH!" deffinitly a scream of pain, that got us all laughing. Thanks Doug, we enjoy your agony.

Kudos to James Anderson. Your doing strong, you will do well in the Cat 4s (when your dad lets you race again). I believe your time was 32:08 or something close. That was faster than my 20k time at the beginning of the year. So good job!

All in all, it was a good day. 4th and 3rd. That adds a few more points for michigan challenge, and $10 for getting 3rd in the TTT.

5 comments:

dmo said...

Nice riding today! That second race was tough for me too, but hey, we were in the money. And sorry again for goofing up the turn. That was probably ten seconds right there. Thanks for the lift!

D

James Anderson said...

Thanks Zack. I was really surprised at my time. I was screaming in excitement. I was looking for under 34 and when I looked at my time, wow, cool!

Darrell Anderson said...

Fantastic TT's today Zach. I take great pleasure in seeing you blossom. Keep up the good work. Next year will be even better!

PS - I won't be a crit practice Tuesday after all so I think it would be best if I just mailed the $$ to you.

Anonymous said...

Hello

I am from Jackson michigan and now am currently living in Ann Arbor. If you get this any time soon i would like i you toold me how the hines park 20K is. Thanks

Andre Watts

Anonymous said...

HAHA sorry i cant type. lemmy try again " i would like you to tell me how the hines park TT is

Thanks Again