Monday, June 30, 2008

Weekend of Hardship

DNF. That sums up my weekend. Rockford. State TT. DNF.
-ROCKFORD-
Saturday at noon, I met Chris in the Best Buy parking lot. We carpooled (along with Cat) to Rockford for the race. While on the way, about 20 minutes from Rockford, I look out my rear view window and what do I see? Chris's front wheel had come loose and flew off the rack. It went bouncing down the highway avoiding cars and landed way off the side of the highway.

Cat Chris and I all got out of the car ans start searching. After about 15 minutes, Cat found it hidden in some high grass. You couldn't tell it had just been thrown at 75mph. It was actually more true than when we put it on the roof.

Once we got to the course, we wamred up and prepped to race. Chris, Dominick, Scott, Joe, Tony and me all lined up for the start. Minnema, Antonuk, Martinez, DelRosario and Kroske were all there too.

The race was fast. Everyone was hurting, but I felt like crap from the start. Everytime we hit the hill I would move back, I would pick up some places in the corners, but then I had to tuck tight behind someone becasuse the longest section of road had a direct, 30+mph headwind. (Bad for me because I am so light) Tony and Chris were doing a wonderful job on the front, relay attacking the first half of the race. Then Joe moved up and took a prime. Scott was sitting safely, just waiting for the right moment, and conserving. Dominick and I were nowhere to be found, just chilling at the back, trying to hang on.

About 15-20 minutes into the race, the winning break got up the road. Minnema, Antonuk, Chris Aten and a Spout rider. The pace picked up at this point, to pull them back in. People started getting twitchy, then it happened. Someone made a Cat 5 mistake, moving over into another line without looking back. The result? 3 guys hitting the ground, I dont know who the first guy was, but there was a Wolverine down, and Tony his hard too. The problem was that it happened on that long headwind straightaway. So I heard the crash before I saw anything. The guy I was tucked behind moved at the last second, and there was Tony lying on the ground in front of me. I had about a half second to react, so I did what people have told me was quite and impressive bunny hop, and jumped over Tony.

Now I have about a 50 meter gap and a 30 mph headwind. I rode hard untill the hill, then I had enough. I figured I wouldnt catch the peloton and could conserve for the time trial. I looked over at Brent who was next to me, and we both called it quits at the same time. We both rode over to our teamates and tended to their injuries. By this point, the break had about 40 seconds on the peloton. In the finale, Antonuk picked Chris at the line, and the Spout guy took Minnema by a hair for 3rd.

-STATE TT-
Again, Cat accompanied David and me on race day. Nick was supposed to go, but bailed last minute, so I had room to stick the tent in my car. We got to the course and picked up our numbers. We set up camp next to the car under the tent to keep out of the rain.

Originally the course was shortened due to flooding. But by racetime, it was back to the full length.

Time trials dont get much to report. I warmed up and started my race. Minnema was one minute behind me, and David at 2. It was 40k, two laps. By the first turnaround at 10k, Minnema overtook me. By the second turnaround at 20k, he was long gone, but I still had about 90 seconds on David.

I have been told the turnarounds were slick and people were slipping, but I had no problem. John Burrows crashed in one of the corners, destroyed his glasses and still managed to get under an hour. (Which was my goal too)

Well about 1.5k into my second lap my rear tubular flatted. I was mad....really mad. I am fine now, but any Roadie understands the feeling. You work so hard, invest so much money...then something you can't controll ruins it all. I was on my way to about a 59 minute 40k too. O well.

Darrell won. Beat Minnema by 35 seconds!

BB got jipped. They never told him the course was back to full length, so he turned around early and had to take a restart. The problem, restarts get DQd. So he did TWO 20k TTs AT FULL EFFORT AND STILL WON in his category. But was relegated to the back.

The course was muddy.
Photos by Cat.


4 comments:

James Anderson said...

Don't worry Zack, at Hines you'll rip their legs off and brandish them over your head, as my dad would say.

Doug said...

Wow, good think you saw the wheel. Was Chris PO'd?

Doug said...

Don't forget about the curse... I gave us both flats.

Doug said...

Yeah, James "what?"