Friday, January 25, 2008

Cold Cold Ride






So today after i took my physiology exam, which im pretty sure i got an A on, I had lunch and prepped the bike for some outdoor riding. I know it wasn't the most optimum conditions to ride in, 18 degrees without windchill, sunny, and semi-strong wind out of the west.....but hey, we're bicycle racers, this shouldnt bother us. Anyways it was a fun ride, after about 10 minutes any exposed skin is numb so the ride is enjoyable when you cant feel anything. I rode over to Geddes Road, east to Prospect, north to Ford, west to Dixboro, and south to Huron River Drive back to campus. I got to do a nice durability test on my frame. Ford turns into Plymouth Road, which intersects Dixboro, that half mile strech of road is really rough if your a cyclist trying not impede rush hour(s) traffic. I had my own little Paris-Roubaix, and I must say "Thanks James Knight!" this bike rode AWESOME over some really rough road, the frame felt great and I was surprised the wheels held up, but they did.


I also had two close encounters with cars. Neither of them were my fault. The first was a car that looked like it was going to run the intersection, and I would almost understand if there were no cars around, but there was a continuous line of cars and both him and I hit our breaks hard and he came close to knocking me out into traffic. The second was on Dixboro road. I was headed south and stopped at the intersection with Geddes. There was, in order from left to right, a left turn lane, a straight lane, a bike lane, and a right turn lane. Well when the light turned green, the car to my right, in the right turn lane, decided he wanted to go straight, and cut me off. He clearly saw me as we were stopped at the red light right next to each other and he looked over at me. I swear some people just should not be allowed to drive.


Due to all of the salt on the road, I am going to wash my bike tonight, I am just waiting for my roomate to get out of the shower so I can use it as a bike wash and hang it up to dry for the night. I have never seen a city use more salt on their roads and sidewalks than dear ole Ypsilanti. Oh well, just killing the fish and water habitat. So, yeeeeeeaaahhhh. Depending on weather, I will try to make it outside, then on Sunday I get a fun filled day of riding (finally!) In the morning I get to do a trainer party with the AAVC juniors. If i understand correctly, this year I am acting as a mentor in the junior program, details are still foggy. After the trainer party it will be the 'Worst Day of the Year Ride' starting at the farmers market in downtown Ann Arbor. There are 4 different loops ranging from 40miles all the way down to 6 miles. There will be a mountain bike course if one is interested. As i understand it, the 40 miler is on all paves roads, as well as the 12 miler, so you should come out and ride (I will be doing the 40 mile ride.)


Here are random pictures of my salt covered bike.

15 comments:

James Anderson said...

Yup, you are a mentor this year, my dad said so.
And have fun at the trainer party tomorrow, without me.

Zachary Maino said...

Why can you not go?

Doug said...

Ah, speak for yourself! 18 degrees? I'll enjoy a DVD with my trainer...

You a mentor? Are they sure that is wise? Do they know your history??????? You can not say you have lead a good clean life :).

James Anderson said...

I've got church.

Doug you COULD be a mentor, you just have to stop swearing...for good.

Doug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doug said...

No, I would be a bad mentor.

And I have never said a bad word in my life :).

C said...

They use a mix of gravel (actually Pikes Peak Granite) and a low ratio of salt on all of the roads out here. Ecologically and economically it is a better alternative to using only salt.

I wonder why Michigan uses so much salt. With Detroit being the "Motor City" you would imagine Michigan to have a forward method of maintaining safe roads.

Doug said...

Cheap salt, remember there is a salt mine under southeast Detroit.

Doug said...

Detroit Salt Company, go here:

http://www.detroitsalt.com

James Anderson said...

So Zack, how was the trainer party?

Zachary Maino said...

The trainer party was good, you missed a good workout. Tomarrow when i have freetime i will blog

C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
C said...

The mine is actually located on the east side under Kwame's house and has served as an underground love nest for he and Beatty. The "Salt" is really only crack cocaine that has baked under the heat of the earth's core.

Every ninth manhole on every street running North to South in the city of Detroit is a well disguised chute that allows prostitutes to slide into Kwame's Lair. Marion Barry, and D.B. Cooper have been known to use these underground chutes, both for considerably different reasons... The Detroit Salt Mine is a huge cover-up.

Zachary Maino said...

Ummmm.....thank you colton?

Doug said...

Ah, so the truth comes to light.