Friday, March 14, 2008

Group Ride

So yesterday around 5:15pm I slid the bike in my car and drove over to Barton Dam. It was time for the first real group ride of the season. Darrell, James, James, DMO, Chris, Greg, Rich, Eric and me headed out down Huron River Drive to Dexter to Dexter Town Hall Road to North T. Then we turned around and headed back.

On our way to Dexter, Bike Boy lost a bottle, and Darrell stopped to retrieve it. As we were slowing down to wait, "A Ten" got a flat. Darrell remained with him and helped him repair it. The rest of us rode up to Zeeb and back while we waited for them. From then on, it was pretty low key for mechanicals.

Near the end of HRD is where the attacks started comming. This was SUPPOSE to be an easy ride, but as we all know, that never happens. Once we got through Dexter and out into the country, more attacks and higher paces were being thrown out there. Ive been a little behind in training, so it hurt a lot. At one point i was sitting third behind Eric and Greg, I turned around to see who was on my wheel, and everyone else has sat up, so I did too and let the other two battle it out.

The ride back was pretty light. There was one last sprint between James Knight and myself to the Dexter tunnel, but after that we all let up. I rode next to Rich most of the way back, telling stories of racing and crashing. We did our best to avoid the craters that are on HRD, its seriously worse than d'Arenberg forest....ok not really.

When we got to that second and last steeper little climb on HRD, my quads had had it and called it quits. I had to sit up and watch everyone just continue down the road without me. I rode the last 4-5 miles nice a light, around 17-19mph. When I got back to the parking lot, most of the guys had gotten the bikes in the cars and were changing. I loaded up my bike, changed into my thermal jacket and ate a Clif Bar. "A Ten" (yes im trying to make the nickname stick, we have BB, Ace, and Pothole. Now we have "A Ten") asked me for a ride, and I gave him one back to his appt.

Sitting here, my quads are just exausted. It is a really nice day out, so I might go do a light ride. Tomorrow I have the spring SLC team meeting. New uniforms and a group ride. Hopefully I wil feel better tomorrow. I will have my camera so there will be pictures from the team meeting. Later!

8 comments:

Doug said...

and who is A Ten??????????

How long was the ride?

Zachary Maino said...

Chris Aten, his blog is "A Ten on two wheels"

Ride ended up being about 35 miles or so.

C said...

So, what is your nickname?

Zachary Maino said...

I really dont have one. My sign in name for the MCG Forum is 'Z Factor', but i dont see that one getting adopted soon. (and its taken from Zabriskie) Im sure Doug can come up with something haha

Doug said...

Well, Zack eludes a nickname.

Do you have any nicknames in college or high school? Like something based on your favorite alcohol drink or something like that?

Zachary Maino said...

Doug, as ive said a few times in this blog, I dont drink. So no nicknames from that. Everyone in high school just called me Zack or Maino. I had one teacher call me Zacklus.

James Anderson said...

Z

James Anderson said...

Your nickname is Z. I don't mean "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz".