Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Windy Day

I would like to start this post by thanking Jamie Smith. I went to his blog this morning and checked out his latest post about music that gets stuck in his head. One of the songs on there was Istanbul (not constantinople) by We Might be Giants. Jamie said it was pretty catchy...and yes it is. The song has been stuck in my head since 8am, it is now 9:33pm.

Anyways....After class today I went to eat lunch, then I prepped the bike and kitted up for a 2 hour ride. I was headed to Saline to Darrell's house, then back here to campus. Having two races this weekend, MSU Road Race on Saturday and Fisk Knob TT on Sunday I left my road bike at home last weekend, and brought my TT bike up here for the week to test my new position.

On my way to Darrell's I was completely in a headwind. The wind was out of the southwest at 15-16mph, and Saline is convinently located southwest of EMU. I started out down Packard, turned left on Platt up to Ellsworth where I turned right. Rode down past the airport to Maple, took a left twords Saline. Made a few more turns and ended up at Ds house. The whole time I was only doing 16-17mph because of the wind.

Once at Darrell's, I went inside and talked to BB and his mother, refilled my bottle and looked through a VeloNews magazine while i waited for Darrell to finish getting ready. Once he was ready we took off into Saline. Darrell has some fun riding through little neighborhoods, so I just stuck to his wheel because I had no idea where we were going, all I know is we made a lot of turns. It wasn't so bad on the way back, Darrell was on a rest day and we had the wind to our back.

We made out way to Scio Church Road into downtown AA via 7th street. We topped out at 41mph on 7th by drafting off a Jeep. I kept my distance being on the TT bike. We made it to to top of sunrise hill(?) and flew down it into Wheeler Park. From there we rode up by the U of M hospital onto the Huron River Bike Path. When we got up to Dixboro Road, I headed back to campus while D turned around.

When I got back there were 4 other people in my room working on homework, so I sat on the ground with my laptop because Karl was using my desk. Now I am talking to people online considering going to sleep, even though I dont have class untill 2pm tomorrow. I will probably do an early morning ride tomorrow.

4 comments:

Doug said...

Did you take a flashlight into D's house? Just how dark is it in there?

James Anderson said...

I don't think I'll ever be able to live this down:-).

C said...

Zack, when you rented a bike in Washington State, what were the rates like for day/weekend?

I'm taking a trip to San Francisco, and I'm wondering if I should hassle with a travel bike or just rent.

Zachary Maino said...

I do not remember exactly. My brother paid for it out of his pocket. I believe it was roughly $25-30/ day.