Saturday, March 29, 2008

MSU Road Race





FIRST RACE OF THE SEASON!!!!!


...and I finished dead last.


Today I woke up to my dogs fighting, I tried to break them up which resulted in my hand getting bit. With a bit of commotion we broke up the fight and put them in their crates. After that whole scene, I went to the kitchen and made me a sandwich, got a bananna and some sweetbread. After I ate I printed off the directions to the race, which was held in Mason, kitted up, packed the car and headed north on US-127.


After I registered and pinned my first bib number of the season, I warmed up and waited for staging. The course was boring for the most part. It was a flat 4.4 miles loop in the country with strong cross winds. The catch...1 mile of the loop was on a dirt/gravel road with some rough parts.


The race started at the beginning of the dirt section. Time across it, we went pretty easy, but once we hit pavement again, the pasce picked up. A few people tried to put in some attacks, untill one got away. It was three riders from Purdue, Marion, and somewhere else. Once the gap got up to one minute, we started pulling it back to make it easier to maintain. When we hit the dirt section again, I put in an attack hoping that the group would follow me to bring the gap down, but they didnt so I sat up. Once we hit the tarmac, the real chase started, we got them to about 25 seconds, which is where we wanted it. Then one Wisconsin rider decided to pull the breakaway back in, which encouraged more attacks.


On the next lap, number four of seven, we went into the dirt section prettty fast. So fast in fact, that I flatted. I was near the front, so I did my best to keep the bike upright while I waited for a dry(er) section of road to change my front wheel. I considered waiting for the real road before changing my wheel, hindsight I should have. Anyone that rides Speedplay pedals knows that dirt and snow in the cleats is a night mare. It took my a mile of hitting my shoes to dislodge all the dirt and clip in. By that point, I could not get back to the peloton. I chased for about 5 miles, got close...about 15 seconds off the back. Then my body shut down. I had chased so hard I could not get the the back of the group.


I ended up riding the last two laps solo. I finished about three minutes behind the group...in last place. Had I not flatted, I would have been fine. I was holding up great in the group and felt fine.


Tomorrow is the Fisk Knob Time Trial in Grand Rapids. I will head over there in the morning, my start time is 1:06pm. Tony and Mr. Wizcorek will be there as well. Hopfully all three of us can put in some nice times.

5 comments:

James Anderson said...

Don't worry Zack, you'll get 'em next time.

Doug said...

You are getting spam.

You look very tired in that first picture.

What class were you racing? Are you one of the most experienced racers in the college races? Well, three minutes behind the group is not bad for flatting. Just how fast did you change that flat (I am getting a nascar pit picture here)?

dmo said...

That's a bummer about the wheel, but when something like that happens there's not much you can do (besides getting an EMU team car to follow you). Rip it up tomorrow at Fisk Knob!

Zachary Maino said...

Haha Doug. I changed it very fast. The follow truck was close behind the feild. I ripped out the wheel tossed it in the bed, grabbed another, put it on, closed the scewer and took off. The problem I had, was getting my shoes engaged in the pedals. Had I been able to clip in, I could have easily caught the feild.

James, Yeah next season when i actually compete at most of the collegiate races. From here on its local scene races.

DMO, You know there are no team cars allowed in collegiate races haha. I will tear it up at Fisk Knob. I have my carbon wheels, a new bike position, new tighter skinsuit, and the TT helmet. Thats at least a minute right there.

Doug said...

Ok, thought you did not have a follow car.

I was getting the picture of you doing a 1.5 min take the tire off, put the new tube in, air it up and boom, almost chase down the pack from 1.5 min behind. That is what you have to say next time :).

How did the TT go????????