Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Give Blood



So today was exactly 8 weeks since I had last donated blood. That meant it was time to give another pint. A cool thing that Easter does is that it holds a blood drive every 8 weeks, so the same people can come and donate over and over.

This is the longest I have ever had to wait to donate. Usualy it is held in the lobby of my dorm and I can be in and out in a half hour or so. Today's drive was held in the Student Center, so there were more people. I signed in and waited an hour before being called to screening. As usual, screening went quickly and before I knew it, I was laying on a cot with a needle in my arm.

I know a lot of people are afraid or nervous of needles, some people are so bad that they cant get their finger pricked and their temperature taken simotaneously (true story), but finger pricks and needles dont bother me.

Anyways, It was pretty quick for me to pump out a pint today, my record actually...9 minutes. The other two times this year were 13 and 24 minutes. I say the two other times, because when I got to school this fall was the first time I ever donated because it was close and easy. But now I do it because it is important.

I encourage all of my readers (providing you are at least 18 and over 120 lbs) to go out an donate. I wont get into the facts, but people are always going to need blood transfusions, so you should donate and save a life. You never know, in our sport, you may end up needing blood someday. (But I really really hope not)

Besides, you get a sticker and sometimes a cool shirt. (though it may be 8 times too big)

9 comments:

C said...

Damn, Fuentes did a really sloppy job on the gauze and Durapore.

Zachary Maino said...

haha nice!

Greg said...

Not afraid of finger pricks... sometimes I wonder about you.

dmo said...

Good on ya mate!
I go every year in the off season. The second to last time I did it I convinced the attending nurse to check my hematocrit. Got a 46, so I was UCI legal. It usually takes me a few weeks to feel recovered, and maybe a bit longer to get my top end back, so you should be fully back to normal by the time the real racing season starts.

Daniel Ritter said...

A few weeks?! It shouldn't take that long to feel fine after a pint. The one time I did it was a Friday and I felt fine... well Friday and raced the best I have Saturday

James Anderson said...

Dmo, 46 is pretty high!

dmo said...

I think 46 is in high side of the normal range, but still normal. And yeah, the last time I gave blood I went for a 1.5 hour run the day after. Still, I find it takes me some time to feel completely back to normal. Plus, I always get big bruises because my veins are kind of small and the nurses always seem to have to go fishing to find one that works.

James Anderson said...

I've been to Zack's blog about five times today.

C said...

I know, me too! With all of these updates it's hard to keep up.