Monday, April 7, 2008

Waterford

Alright alright alright. Here is my long overdue update from this weekend. Now James and Colton can stop leaving sarcastic comments haha.

So anyways....this weekend marked my return to the Michigan peloton. Last weekend I raced collegiatly and rode a time trial, so this was the first time I met up with the old faces or freinds and foes.

Saturday morning Darrell arrived on campus to take me up to the Waterford Raceway with himself and James for the second 2008 Flying Rhinoes Training Series race. Today I would be trying my luck in my first ever A race with some of the best guys in the state.

After we got the bikes down, James warmed up and lined up for the C race. I had videography duties (as seen here) and Darrell was on picture/coaching duties. Tony's father was in the C race too (sandbagger) so Tony was standing with us on the raceway as we spectated. The race started off pretty well, the pace seemed somewhat easy with only three guys doing any work on the front. James sat near the front, but protected from the wind. On the last lap as they came into the finishing straight I watched through the lens as Mr. Wiezoreck won the race....but James never finished. Some husky rider in a yellow jersey flew up one side, taking out James' handlebars which resulted in him doing a faceplant into the asphalt. (No I didn't get it on video) But being the strong, driven rider young Anderson is, he got up and finished the race.

After we patched James up, I kitted up and started warming up. If you look at the picture, you will see how fanatical Darrell is about having his pre-race espresso Haha. The South Lyon Team had a nice showing of riders with me, Darrell, Tony, John, Joe, Vince, Rob, Eric and Mark. I warmed up a little with Rob and Mark. Then it was off to the start line. Tony and I were both nervous having never done an A race. The pace started pretty fast, there were several attacks but none stuck for more than 3 laps. I spent most of my time in the middle or the back of the pack. I know that is not where I am SUPPOSE to be, but I did not want to disrupt or upset the more experienced riders. Waterford has a little hill, but it can deffinitly hurt. I usually flew right up it, moving up a few spots. The downhill was fast and because the wind was comming out of the east the peloton was riding the far edge of the road, several riders ended up in the grass trying to jump back in. I got lucky and held my spot never going off the road.

After about 50 minutes, I was just exausted. This race was suppose to go for an hour and a half. I ended up pulling out of the race at the 52 minute mark becasue I was about a half lap behind the peloton. I was really upset at first, but Darrell Joe and John gave me encouragement and support. Darrell also pointed out I was low on blood.

It was interesting to watch the race from the finish line. Tony was looking strong, he pulled Vince up to a breakaway from the peloton and managed to sprint to 12th at the end of the race! He was the third placed rider from our team behind John and Darrell. Eric also showed a nice effort getting into a break that stayed away quite a while. All in all it was an alright race for us. I was disapointed in myself, but whatever. I will bounce back.

No comments: