Monday, April 7, 2008

STS #2

So after my poor Saturday performance, Darrell informed me that I should not be racing the STS, it would hurt my training. So I took his advice, saved myself some $$$ and did not race. That did not stop me from being there though. I am a vital member to the AAVC Junior Development Program, so I was one of the first to the course and one of the last to leave.
I arrived early to assist Joe in course set up. As he put out the cones, I swept the corners of debris. After that, I switched the wheels on my bike from the aluminum clinchers to my carbon tubulars. I had only ridden them once and wanted to give them a good test. Once i switched the wheels, I kitted up and met the other coaches behind the C race staging. It was our goal to teach riders how to ride and to help them if they were in trouble. It was fun and fast. I worked pretty hard beacasue I was off the back a lot helping riders get back on. I also spent time in the wind demonstraiting the draft to riders. While I was riding I knew it was a good idea to not do the A race, because I was not feeling strong at all.

James Anderson was in the C race contending for the finish. On the final lap going into the first corner at the bottom of the hill he overcooked the turn. This resulted in slamming into the curb and sprawling out on the grass. He ended up being fine, but I thought Darrell might have a heart attack.

A pleseant surprise came durring the B race. I was sitting on the curb watching and learning as a framiliar face walked up. It was Rune Duke. I raced a little with him last year when he was on South Lyon. At the end of the season he took off to Alabama for the Army. He was back for a few days before taking off to Korea(?) It was nice to see him again, we will sure miss him in the peloton.

Chris Aten, fresh off a solo win in on the collegiate circuit, contended the B race and provided some spectacular entertainment. He made a few breaks and worked at the front of the feild. I don't know how this race ended because I was meeting with the other South Lyon guys that were prepping for the A race. I warmed up with DMO Scott and Joe for a bit, then we met and had a quick team meeting. Then they had to race.

Watching the As I was happy I was not there. Scott said he was at lactate threshold for 50 minutes of a 55 minute race. The team did quite well though. Vince got off in a break with Bissel Pro Team's Sven Howard. Then a second group of about 12 guys formed a chase group. Both the lead and chase group caught and lapped the feild. This resulted in Paul Alman finishing the peloton two laps early and letting the final group of 14 battle it out. I do not remember who won, but Vince sprinted to a 3rd place and Scott managed to be near the front when to pack sprinted for......15th.

A funny story of the race was one of the primes. A rider had gone solo and was way ahead of the pack comming up to the line. He sat up and rode lightly. From nowhere a peloton rider came sprinting up as fast as he could and took the prime literally ON THE LINE! No one could really tell who won it exept for Paul. The original guy that went solo turned around and yelled "Man that SUCKS!" it was hilarious.

It was a fun day in the sun. The weather was beautiful both days and I ended up sunburned. But it was worth it.

1 comment:

Chris Aten said...

Nice re-caps of the races. I'm thinking about joining you guys in the A race on Sunday!