Monday, December 31, 2007

Let's bring in the New Year!

I am currently sitting on my couch watching 'The Today Show' and they are showing a year in review, so I thought I would try to do the same thing....with less pizzaz. (I don't have a TV show)

January: Plans were made to go to California

February: Got to spend a week out in California chasing the Tour of California, met Armstrong, Leipheimer, Hincapie, Basso, Danielson, Cancellara, Voigt, Rassmusen, Roll, Bruyneel, Ligget, Sherwin, Ekimov, Riis, and Zabriskie. Also got to ride my bike in the mountains.

March: Purchased aerobars for my bike. Racing season starts at the end of the month with the 'Fisk Knob Time Trial' where i managed my highest placing...2nd place.

April: Spring Break! Didn't go anywhere. Due to California, I did not go anywhere. I spent alot of time around here preparing for Graduation, and my brothers Wedding. Racing season picks up with the AAVC STS, and Willow TT where I took 4 min off my time from last year.

May: A busy busy month. Prom. That required alot of work because I was on the setup commitee. A few weeks later, Graduation. Spent alot of time with freinds making bonds before going away at the end of the summer. As far as racing goes, the big race of Kensington, which was a blast and maybe it can go to a stage race again. I was taken down in the crit part of the race and had a decent amount of road rash.

June: The month of Camp and State Championships. Cedar Creek was almost amazing. Had a fun road trip with Scott and David, which i hope to do again. We sprinted about 10 seconds early, otherwise we might have swept State Road Champs. Then I raced a hard Allen Park Crit, managed to make some money with a 5th place finish in a strong feild. Then it was off to La Crosse, Wisconsin with Colton and Caleb, packed up the Element and went to camp. I was 7th overall out of 32 riders at camp, with a 20k TT 2 min faster than my Willow time. Drove back the day before Dexter, slept in my car at the truck stop on Baker Road woke up and went on to a 12th place finish at Dexter after crashing and getting a flat tire.

July: A wonderful month. My birthday on the 10th was fun, just hung out with my freinds. Raced the 'Common Crit' with the mixed 3/4 feild. This was Kurt's first race, and I think he did alright for the first time.I managed to drop my chain and drop behind the feild. I never caught up to the feild, but i never gave up. I gave everything I had to not get lapped, but I as a single person am not as fast as 50 people. A week later I was in Houghton, Michigan for my oldest brothers wedding. (That is why I missed the Maillot Jaune RR) It was a wonderful wedding, perfect weather, ceremony held on the shores of Lake Superior. I got in some quality training, climbed 780ft in 4 miles. Fun stuff.

Augest: The month of racing. Ada, BTR, Hines, and Rockford. Ada was a fun, dangerous race. Scott and I raced hard, and I managed 11th, while Scott got 6th(?). This was the race where some of you may remember I was threatened durring the last lap by our crash causing, trouble making Cat 4 freind. (Most of you know who I'm talking about) I skipped out on BTR, so I could be prepared for Hines. Despite getting passed by David, because he is just insane in time trials, i still put in a reputable time, catching Doug at the line. I placed 4th in the 4 feild with a time 2 min faster than my Camp time, 4 min faster than Willow. Rockford was an amazing race. Eric crashed early on, but got back in the race. I spent a lot of time on the front of the feild, working for Scott. With 2 laps left, I took off on the hill. When i came across the line the bell rang, one lap to go, less than a mile, I had 10 seconds on the feild. This was it, I was going to get my first win! When I hit the hill again, my calv cramped, and I ended up 10th at the line.

September: 2 races, and the start of a new era.....College. The races were Debaets-Devos Crit, and the Priority Health Grand Classic. Debaets was a hard race, our goal was to get Scott a high placing so he could win the Michigan Challenge Series. David, Dan and I hammered that race. We litteraly rode ourselves into the ground, but on the last corner, the guy in front of Scott crashed leaving Scott with a gap, making him the leadout man for the feild. He got second in the series. Priority Health was an awesome race! I can't wait for it again! SRAM neutral support, pro racers, just an amazing race.
College...well I started college. Went for a ride one day and broke my bike.

October: A full month of nothing. Studying, testing, writing, and reading. Halloween was a drag, freezing rain, mid week = no parties. :'-(

November: Thanksgiving in Seattle. Wow I just might move out there, it was beautiful. Rode up a monster of a hill with my brother, ended up falling on my knee. It climbed 1800ft in 2 miles or something like that.

December: Finished up my first semester of college, survived. Came home to spend break with family and freinds. Went to my first SLC team meeting, its going to be a fun season with a strong tem. Got a new bike for Christmas, and I love it. Thank you James Knight. Now I am sitting here on New Years Eve writing about my year. It was a fun year, and I guess I had a tough luck with racing, but it was still fun.

If I happened to miss something, and im sure I did, feel free to tell me. I hope everone else had a good year too. Next year is going to be better, next year is going go be more fun, next year is going to be more succesful.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

6 comments:

James Anderson said...

We're gonna make them hurt next year.

C said...

The 20k TT at camp was fast for me too. Which is weird considering the wind was bad, and we didn't have aero equipment.

cody said...

Kinda off topic, but you should race collegiate this spring. I know I've seen some EMU jerseys out there before. mwccc.org for more info.

Cody Brown
codbrown@gmail.com

James Anderson said...

Well actually, I'm only in eighth grade, so that won't work.-:)

cody said...

uhhh...not you

James Anderson said...

Sorry, I was trying to be funny...it didn't work obviously.